To help aid with your Oscar ballot’s below is both Sammy’s picks and mine (Dakota). The order is based on how we announced them on the podcast. During the episode we also break down whom we want to win and who was snubbed (if any).
- Best Supporting Actor: Mahershali Ali (D), Sam Rockwell (S)
- Best Supporting Actress: Regina King (D), Rachel Weisz (S)
- Best Original Screenplay: Green Book (D), Roma (S)
- Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman (D), A Star is Born (S)
- Best Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody (D), A Star is Born (S)
- Best Sound Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody (D), Roma (S)
- Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (D & S)
- Best Animated Short: Bao (D & S)
- Best Documentary Feature: RBG (D & S)
- Best Documentary Short: Period. End of Sentence (D)
- Best Live Action Short:
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Vice (D & S)
- Best Cinematography: Roma (D & S)
- Best Costume Design: The Favourite (D & S)
- Best Film Editing: BlacKkKlansman (D), The Favourite (S)
- Best Foreign Language Film: Roma (D & S)
- Best Production Design: Black Panther (D & S)
- Best Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War (D & S)
- Best Original Score: Black Panther (D), If Beale Street Could Talk (S)
- Best Original Song: “Shallow” from A Star is Born (D & S)
- Best Actress: Glenn Close (D & S)
- Best Actor: Christian Bale (D),
- Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón (D & S)
- Best Picture: Roma (D & S)
In case you missed it make sure you listen to my breakdowns of all the Best Picture contenders. Episode 73 (Vice, BlacKkKlansman and Green Book), Episode 74 (A Star is Born, Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody) and Episode 75 (The Favourite and Roma).
As mentioned during the podcast, the Academy has reversed its decision to award four categories during commercial breaks as detailed in The National Post.
If you haven’t seen this infamous sequence of Rob Lowe and Snow White having a duet during the last host-less Oscars, make sure you watch this.
For a trip down memory lane, look at the history of the types of films that were nominated and won for the Best Makeup and Hairstyling award.
Something new I’ll be asking people to do is to rate and review Contra Zoom on Podchaser, a site that aims to be the IMDb of podcasts. Please rate 5 stars and if possible leave a short review to help grow this show.
Also if you have never given the show a rating on iTunes, that also helps tremendously. Every bit of exposure helps grow the show.