Everyday we will be posting a year end survey submitted by team members, they appear unedited with contributors told to interpret questions how ever they see fit. -Dakota, Music Editor
How long have you been with Live in Limbo and what do you do for the site?
- I have been with LiL for about 4 months as a concert reviewer
What were your three favourite albums of 2016?
- Coloring Book – Chance the Rapper
- Lemonade – Beyoncé
- Blonde – Frank Ocean
What was the most underrated album of 2016?
- Illuminate – Shawn Mendes
What was your favourite Canadian album of 2016?
- Views – Drake
What were your three favourite songs of 2016?
- Blessings – Chance the Rapper
- Ultralight Beam – Kanye West ft. Chance the Rapper
- Freedom – Beyoncé ft. Kendrick Lamar
How many concerts and/or festivals did you go to in 2016?
- 12 – Alessia Cara, Beyoncé, Gavin DeGraw, Weezer (Panic At The Disco and Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness), Gwen Stefani (Eve), Fifth Harmony (JoJo), Drake (Roy Woods, DVSN and Future), Chance the Rapper, From Indian Lakes (Wild Wild Horses, UKAE Band and St. Andrews), Rascal Flatts, Dolly Parton and Troye Sivan (Dua Lipa)
What were your three favourite concerts of the year?
- Chance the Rapper
What was your favourite festival you attended of the year?
- Didn’t attend any unfortunately (streamed Magnificent Coloring Day on TIDAL)
What festival had the best lineup (regardless if you attended or not)?
- Magnificent Coloring Day – Chance the Rapper, John Legend, Skrillex, Lil Wayne, Alicia Keys, Tyler The Creator, 2 Chainz and Kanye West (for one song)
What/who was the biggest musical disappointment (live or album) for you?
- Frank Ocean releasing Blonde after the Grammy submission deadline was my only musical disappoint of 2016
In your opinion, what was the biggest music story?
- I think the passing of Prince was a story the really shook up the entire music world. He was legendary, and inspired so many artists. I saw Beyoncé a few weeks after he passed away and she sang Purple Rain in his memory, and it left me in tears.
What band did you see live for the first time that really impressed you?
- Seeing Wild Wild Horses for the first time was a fantastic experience. They were one of the opening acts for From Indian Lakes. I had been a fan of WWH for a few months after seeing their music video / short film, so experiencing them live was a treat.
What was your favourite new musical discovery of 2016?
- Chance the Rapper really changed my entire 2016. I had heard him featured on Justin Bieber’s Confident in 2013 but never really looked into him. However, when Coloring Book dropped I listened to the album on repeat for a solid month and have not looked back since.
Who were you disappointed to miss seeing live this year?
- Shawn Mendes
Who should we be looking out for in 2017?
- Ed Sheeran (Return)
- Dua Lipa (First Album)
Who’s going to be headlining (or at least playing) all the 2017 festivals?
- Hangout Music Festival – Mumford and Sons, Twenty One Pilots, Frank Ocean, Chance the Rapper
- Coachella – Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar (rumored)
What was your favourite review or photo set you did for LiL this year?
- My first review was for Drake and it capped off this entire humbling experience
Is there anything else you want to say about 2016 or predict about 2017?
- 2016 was a fantastic year for music. Most of my favourite artists released new albums or at least gave me a song (1D boys as solo artists). I hope 2017 continues the trend and the only thing I’m holding out for is a One Direction return (I’ll never let it go)