After what seemed like a tepid lead-up to our country’s sesquicentennial (probably because no one wants to try even pronouncing that word), we are being inundated with all things Canadian as the big 1-5-0 rapidly approaches.
My ears certainly don’t mind, as in a lot of ways we are all being reminded of the eh-mazing music that has come out of the Great White North for the world to hear and share. Maybe not 150 years’ worth, but the last third or so of that timeframe has produced gems from our rocky-in-places landscape that have definitely achieved elevated status.
With this mind, I’ve cobbled together an #IconicCanada playlist where each and every selection transcends borders, even if it may not have been the biggest chart-topper here or abroad.
Some of it is indebted to content laws that essentially forced music created here to be heard by its citizens, whether they liked it or not. Others like the ones on this playlist would have been successful even if the artist hailed from Timbuktu…or tiny Manotick, Ontario in Hollerado’s case.
The longer-than-150-year history of our nation may contain incidences not everyone should be proud of, but a hallmark of the reputation we’ve earned internationally is owning up to past transgressions and trying to do the right thing going forward. That, poutine, and YOLO. (Thanks Drake!)
Not every Canuck worships The Tragically Hip as the rest of the world probably believes; there is however an overflow of homegrown talent from sea to proverbial shining sea to get behind and support no matter what you’re in to. Don’t read into this as it being my way of saying “sorry not sorry” for not including any country music. Or Bieber. That kid still needs to grow up. Lucky for him his homeland is tolerant, patient and forgiving.
I am nowhere near egotistical enough to suggest these are the greatest songs of whatever whatever, although if you’re looking for some solid CanCon to wave a flag to over the long weekend while grillng or indulging in a stubby or three, you can do a lot worse than this playlist.
And this goes without saying, Happy Canada Day!
- Oh…Canada – Dirty version – Classified
- We’re All In This Together – Sam Roberts Band
- I’ll Believe In Anything – Wolf Parade
- Wake Up – Arcade Fire
- Drinking in L.A. – Bran Van 3000
- Montréal -40 – Malajube
- I Tried to Leave You – Leonard Cohen
- Ironic – 2015 Remastered – Alanis Morissette
- Electric Pow Wow Drum – A Tribe Called Red
- Pick Me Up – Hollerado
- One Dance – Drake
- Can’t Feel My Face – The Weeknd
- Her Daddy Don’t Like Me – Jazz Cartier
- Breathing Underwater – Metric
- Meet Me In The Basement – Broken Social Scene
- Romantic Rights – Death From Above 1979
- Take Me To the Riot – Stars
- Orleans – The StandStills
- Give It Up – The Beaches
- DVP – PUP
- Ghosts ‘n’ Stuff – Radio Edit – deadmau5
- Let Your Backbone Slide – Power Mix – Maestro Fresh Wes
- Miracle – The Darcys
- Wash Your Face In My Sink – Dream Warriors
- The Garden – July Talk
- Closer To The Heart – Rush
- New Orleans Is Sinking – The Tragically Hip
- Summer Of ’69 – Bryan Adams
- Rockin’ In The Free World – Neil Young
- American Woman – Remastered – The Guess Who
- One Great City! – The Weakerthans
- Closer – Tegan and Sara
- Mr. Someone Else – The Dudes
- Big Yellow Taxi – Live – Joni Mitchell
- I Don’t Know – The Sheepdogs
- Top Of The World – Rascalz
- Below – White Lung
- Ocean Pearl – 54-40
- The House That Heaven Built – Japandroids
- Middle Of Nowhere – Hot Hot Heat